[Ilugc] Unable to mount folders exported by NFS Server

Kapil Hari Paranjape kapil at imsc.res.in
Wed Dec 10 06:55:18 IST 2008

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008, Pankaj Kumar wrote:
> Now I want to export one fixed folder to Client1 and another fixed
> folder to Client2 from Server so that I can work on Server from
> Client Systems using the concept of NFS. For this purpose I made
> following entry in the /etc/exports file:

Just making sure the exports is ok is generally not enough. Some
daemons need to be started as well.

Unless you specify port numbers on the command line while starting
the nfs related daemons you need to run portmap on all machines.
You need to ensure that portmap access is enabled for 192.168.0.x
in /etc/hosts.allow

Ensure that you are running rpc.mountd and rpc.nfsd on the server
machine and that you can see this on the client by running
 rpcinfo -p 192.168.0.2
on the client machines.

Ensure that you are running rpc,statd and rpc.lockd on the client
machines and that you can see this on the server by running
 rpcinfo -p 192.168.0.3

On Debian systems and derivatives all of the above are done by
/etc/init.d/nfs* scripts.

Kapil.