[Ilugc] vfat partition auto mounting in ubuntu 8.10

Mehul Ved mehul.n.ved at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 21:49:34 IST 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 4:39 PM, பத்மநாதன் <indianathann at gmail.com> wrote:
> I added the partition in /etc/fstab as below
>
> /dev/sda4     /mnt/share     vfat     users, grp=users,umask=0002,rw,utf=8
>     0    0
>
> But Ubuntu 8.10 automounts the partions as readonly. If i create or copy
> some files to this parttion asks current user password to perform the task
> with waning message.
>
> What is the problem?

You need to check 3 things
1) Does your user belong to group 'users'?
2) What happens if you manually mount that partition with the command
mount /dev/sda4 /mnt/share
3) Try running fsck on the partition and then remount it.
If all the above fail, you should try on the ubuntu lists/irc
channel/forums/lauchpad.

--

Reserve your abuse for your true friends. -- Larry Wall in
199712041852.KAA19364 at wall.org