[Ilugc] Resolution problem with Arch Linux and Xfce

Bhargav Prasanna bhargavprasanna at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 09:44:39 IST 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 9:04 AM, Kumar Appaiah
<a.kumar at alumni.iitm.ac.in> wrote:
> Not sure if this would help, but...
>
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 08:35:16AM +0530, Bhargav Prasanna wrote:
>> But the resolution was darn low.. 640x480 i guess..
>> I've edited the "Screen" section in my xorg.conf numerous times after
>> that.. deleted all Mode entries except "1024x768" (the resolution i
>> want) but ecerytime i login, i get only a 640x480 screen.. Xfce
>> overrides the xorg.conf file specs..
>
> Could you please tell me what video adapter you have? I guess setting
> the right one in xorg.conf might solve your problems. Also, I suspect
> even "vesa" should work, though I am not sure if that is what you
> want. lspci |grep -i [g]raphics might give the exact details.
>
>> The CLI where i give the startxfce4 command (which happens to be vc/1
>> or vc/2 et. al.) has a good resolution though!
>> I tried deleting (at the insistance of a guy from IRC channel
>> #archlinux), ~/.config/xfce4/mcs_settings/display.xml
>> Didn't work either..
>> The worst part is, if i set DefaultDepth as 24 in my xorg.conf, the
>> system says that the monitor doesn't support 24 bit colors..
>> I have been running all other OSs in my PC with the monitor set to 24bits only!!
>
> The driver I use is "intel", on X.Org 7.3. This is the replacement for
> i810 on earlier X.Orgs. If you have an Intel based graphics adapter,
> this might work.
>
> HTH.
>
> Kumar
> --
> Kumar Appaiah

I have an Intel based Graphics Adapter. I have generated and tried
xorg.conf.vesa using hwd.
Not working either.
'X -configure' generated the xorg.conf file for me.. and i'm sure for
an intel based graphics adapter, X -configure should work pretty fine.
I suspect my monitor is under-reporting the resolution the Xfce.
I'm running ubuntu now and will shift to Fedora soon..
--
Sin Cera,
Bhargav Prasanna