[Ilugc] Re: ILUC Meet on Saturday

Arun Khan knura at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 15 15:18:16 IST 2008

On Monday 15 Dec 2008, Bhargav Prasanna wrote:

Please get into the habit of trimming your messages to include relevant
excerpts only.

> Conducting meetings on saturdays in our college (be it any saturday
> of the month) is out of the question.. Its because the college works
> 8.30 to 16.30 on saturdays (all of them)..

Is it not possible conduct the meets after 16.30 hours?  At most you
will need only one room to be kept open.

> We can try and get
> permission for a Sunday meet though.. Again, getting permission
> depends on who you're approaching.. Staff in my department (EEE)
> don't know Linux has GUI.. Whats even worse is that there are many
> teachers in IT and CSE departments hate Linux (for some reason)..

For such people, a Saturday after hours meet could be an enlightening
experience.

> Ashok has even told me about a teacher explaining to his class "Why
> Windows is the world's best OS" during an OS lab session..

To each his/her own opinion but such statement should be followed up
with questions as to if he/she would use it in mission critical
applications and why so.

--
Arun Khan