[Ilugc] Resolution problem with Arch Linux and Xfce

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Dec 15 16:19:33 IST 2008

Bhargav Prasanna wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Kapil Hari Paranjape <kapil at imsc.res.in> wrote:
>
>> Please read the help that has been posted. Kumar asked you to provide
>> the output of lspci. That will help people on the list who want to
>> help you.
>
> I'm not running Arch anymore. So i guess i can't do a lscpi..  I've
> shifted back to Ubuntu and I'm planning on Fedora 10.
>
>> I would be surprised if a recent Linux distribution like Ubuntu Ibex
>> or Fedora 10 does not manage to fix your X window server
>> "automagically", however it has been known to happen. :-(
>
> The problem is not with Ubuntu or Fedora. But with Arch..

Xorg autoconfiguration is not usually dependent on the distribution
(unless they decided to patch stuff and not send it upstream which is a
bad thing to do).

If your distribution has a recent version of Xorg (including the latest
X Server), it should detect and use the right settings on the fly.
Though some of the old hardware doesn't work yet (requires manual fall
backs or custom settings), this does work well on all Intel cards afaik.

Check your X log in /var/log/Xorg.log* and output of lspci and file a
bug report against your distribution's bug tracking system with the
details.

Rahul