[Ilugc] Re: ILUC Meet on Saturday

ம. ஸ்ரீ ராமதாஸ்|Sri Ramadoss M amachu at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 15 18:39:38 IST 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 5:48 PM, Arun Khan <knura at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Isn't there a lesson in it? What a "User" expect is some one who sits
>> and explains the way he has to use the software or a proper answer.
>
> Then they should be ready to pay some fee for hand holding.  IMO, having
> the same expectation from a volunteer LUG group such

We always site mailing list as a place where one can seek help. When
one seek help it has to properly answered, whether it is paid or
volunteered.

If a volunteered effort isn't going to be as good as paid one, then
there is no wonder people considering it 'not for them'..

>> not answers like google yourself first.. its there you take it..
>
> People who are not willing make *any* attempt to help themselves do not
> deserve help from others.  These folks are *not* interested in
> learning, all they want is a quick (and perhaps not so clean) solution
> to their problem.

I am not referring to Students or Computer Science Professionals.

An end user.. We say we help you on mailing lists, When they come
here, I believe We should not say, Google before you ask here.

>> and proprietary people do not do that..
>
> Really?  MS charges $25-35 per incident for help (desktop OS) over the
> phone.  More complex stuff - they refer you to their solutions partner
> in your neighborhood.

Off-course they do it for price. But they do it. They spoon feed for price.

Sri Ramadoss M