[Ilugc] One Day One GNU/Linux Command (BG)

Ashok Gautham thescriptdevil at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 15:33:03 IST 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 12:07 PM, Kapil Hari Paranjape <kapil at imsc.res.in>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2008, Sivakumar Gopalan wrote:
> > Is there a way to start a job in background in one
> > terminal and bring it back to foreground in a different
> > Terminal ?
>
> Use "dtach" or "detachtty". For more general use learn to use screen.
>
> By the way, normally backgrounded jobs are not expected to require
> input/output to/from the terminal else they will stop.

Well.. I wanted to to this for a non-interactive program (transmissioncli).
I am downloading a huge dvd ISO and it will take days on my 256k
connection. Being sleepy I did not do a startx and just used the vt/1
In the morning, when I wanted to log into X and still have transmission
reporting, I found I coudn't.
Of course, there is transmissiond for this very reason. But this might
not have been an isolated case. (Say mplayer is another app that might
require attaching and detaching to different terminals).
Screen is of course "The solution". But I want a lil' more X friendly way to

do it.

---
Ashok `ScriptDevil` Gautham