[Ilugc] Backup of Large File, error.

Jayakumar K K kkjayakumar at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 20:32:08 IST 2008

> I've mounted a samba share (smbfs), and tried to backup my files, to it.
> I tried 3 methods, using file-roller GUI(creating tar on mounted
> drive), normal 'cp -R' method, and rsync. All of them failed in
> between, because some (2) files are very large in size, 2.9GB, and
> 4.3GB.
> What could possibly be the mistake? It usually gives some message
> like, "Large File Size", or something, rsync just fails, with some
> error.

Google gave me this.
http://linux.derkeiler.com/Newsgroups/alt.os.linux/2006-02/msg00381.html

Looks like SMB does not mount with LargeFileSupport (LFS) by default.
Mounting with 'lfs' option might help
<snip>
So either :
mount -t smbfs //server/share /mountpoint -o lfs other-options or
mount -t cifs //server/share /mountpoint -o options
</snip>

-
Jay