openerp/tinerp (Was Re: [Ilugc] Quasar - Accounting Package)

Arun Khan knura at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 17 10:05:44 IST 2008

On Wednesday 17 Dec 2008, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 Dec 2008 11:04:05 pm ம. ஸ்ரீ ராமதாஸ்|Sri Ramadoss M wrote:
> > a replacement asap. Few people have even expressed their
> > willingness to help in creating a replacement.
>
> tinyerp is a perfect replacement - is in use in quite a few
> establishments in India - one of the leading CA firms in Mumbai uses
> it extensively. However, Tally has features that make it very easy to
> cook up accounts to evade taxes which is why it is so popular -
> tinyerp cannot do this.

How many firms are *really* using tinyerp/openerp in India?
Claims of extensive deployment/usage should be validated (e.g. on
openerp web site or the consultant's web site).

On a side note, I have not had much success getting openerp to work on
Ubuntu 8.04 and Centos 5.2.  I have followed the instructions for
installing from the source (ensuring required libs etc.).

The "server" python script bombs with error messages (plan to follow up
on them on the openerp mailing list).

--
Arun Khan