[Ilugc] is FOSS methodology structured ?

Selvakumar Rajeswaran selva_rsr at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 17 22:39:12 IST 2008

Hi,

>I see excellent roadmaps in FOSS projects. And much unlike Microsoft's
>Vista's roadmap, which was expected to release in 2003 and came out in 2006,
>most are almost on track.
I wish the roadmaps that you see are much unlike that of BOSS (given & questionably excellently supported by CDAC) too.

>Also the longest step in any SE process(maintenance) is best applied to FOSS
>since if the lead dev quits, we have either a fork or a set of developers
>taking up
>the same project.(audacious from xmms)
>Testing is comprehensive too.(Alphas, betas, RCs). This is too slightly
>different
>from the Cathedral style since we have nothing to hide from the people here.
>So
>we can involve them more in testing. Testers are always welcome at any
>project.

All the above scenarios are just plain depiction without adequate parametric quantification, as such scenarios usually happen in both FOSS projects and non-FOSS projects as they are intrinsic in any development process.
Any system is said to have good maintenability if its maintenance requirement is nearly-zero ie, maintenance-free (or atleast to the practicaly minimum possible extent). So, FOSS obviously doesn't qualify to have a good maintenability (as wherever we turn our heads we hear about bug-fixing in FOSS).

Thanks,
Selvakumar.