[Ilugc] One Day One GNU/Linux Command (DIALOG)

Girish Venkatachalam girishvenkatachalam at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 12:10:47 IST 2008

On 10:03:16 Dec 18, Bharathi Subramanian wrote:
> One Day One GNU/Linux Command
> =============================
>
> dialog -- Show interactive Dialog boxes from shell.

> Dialog is a program that will let you to present a variety of Text
> User Interfaces from the shell script.
>
> Following interface types are in-build in dialog command (calendar,
> checklist, fselect, gauge, infobox, inputbox, menu, msgbox, password,
> radiolist, tailbox, tailboxbg, textbox, timebox, and yesno).
>
> Examples:
>
> $ dialog --title "Hello" --msgbox "Bharathi" 10 20 -- Message box.
>
> $ dialog --title "Input Box" --inputbox "My Name" 10 20 Bharathi --
>   Input Box.
>
> $ dialog --title "Yes/No" --yesno "Say yes or no" 10 20 -- YesNo box.
>
> $ dialog --title "Please choose a file" --fselect $HOME/ 20 40 -- File
>   Select Box.
>
> $ dialog --title "CAL" --calendar "Set Date" 0 0 1 1 2009 -- Calendar.
>
> $ dialog --title "TIMEBOX" --timebox "Set Time" 0 0 12 20 40 -- Time
>   Box.
>
> Read: man dialog  & /usr/share/doc/dialog-XYZ/

This is a really nice tool but if you wish to do nCurses programming
that is hassle free I recommend that you use the perl module for that
from here.

http://search.cpan.org/~mdxi/Curses-UI-0.9605/lib/Curses/UI.pm

I used that recently when I had to do such stuff.

There are also Perl interfaces to the Dialog program itself.

I for some reason picked up the UI module. There are several examples in
the distribution that give some amazing samples.

If you look at them you are sure to like it.

Thanks.

-Girish