[Ilugc] Overwriting hard disk

Sarad AV jtrjtrjtr2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 22 12:29:42 IST 2008

hai,

i tried looking for the wipe algorithm used by DBAN. i couldn't find it on sourceforge either. pls point me to it if you can find it.

there is the screen shot with some info about the algorithm
http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=61951&ssid=39777

it appears to be using the PRNG MT19937 and a DoD- 3 pass wipe. Honestly, the wipe is not good enough. well actually this depends on the power of the adversary. i would recommend that you use a Gutmann wipe with a larger number of wipe passes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutmann_method

Sarad.

Message: 5