[Ilugc] [OT] A future in quantum computing???

Vaidhyanathan Mayilrangam Gopalan vaidhy at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 14:17:00 IST 2008

Kapil Hari Paranjape wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2008, Ashok Gautham wrote:
> I have provided you with with one person to contact in each of the
> theoretical aspects Mathematics, Physics and CS in that order. I
> don't know who works on the experimental aspects.
>
> I do know that there used to be a simulator for a quantum computer
> that was available as a package in Debian. Perhaps you can try it
> out.

Just to add to Kapil's post, I do not know  enough about current
syllabus, but linear algebra, probability and statistics are critical in
understanding QC.

Further, Quantum computing is a very different thing from quantum
storage and quantum cryptography. Pick the right area of interest :)

As far as QC is concerned, we have algorithms for searching, sorting and
string matching. (Incidentally, one of the string matching algorithms is
from IISC, Bangalore).

If you are interested in storage, read the Feynman's essay "There is
plenty  of room at the bottom" *
http://www.zyvex.com/nanotech/feynman.html *

Regards,
Vaidhy