[Ilugc] Re: tata Indicom usb modem internet

Shakthi Kannan shakthimaan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 15:13:58 IST 2008

Hi,

--- On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 1:42 PM, Ashish Verma
<ashishverma1984 at gmail.com> wrote:
| *I am not sure whether it is a must or not, but I removed the usb_storage
| module because per the internet, It creates conflicts on the device or
| something like that.
\--

USB modems often present two configurations -- mass storage and modem.
On initial connect, the modem presents the USB mass storage
configuration to the host PC for the drivers to get installed and
loaded from it, and then switches to modem configuration for
operational use.

When vendors ship windoze setup.exe in the mass storage, and you are
using GNU/Linux, using usb_modeswitch [1] will help in switching the
configuration for modem operation.

SK

[1] http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/

--