[Ilugc] [OT] A future in quantum computing???

Ashok Gautham thescriptdevil at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 20:44:30 IST 2008

Kapil Hari Paranjape wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> On Mon, 22 Dec 2008, Ashok Gautham wrote:
>> I have provided you with with one person to contact in each of the
>> theoretical aspects Mathematics, Physics and CS in that order. I
>> don't know who works on the experimental aspects.
>>
> Thanks a lot Kapilji. I will get into contact with them after reading some
introductory material so that I dont waste their time sounding like an
over-enthusiastic school kid.

> I do know that there used to be a simulator for a quantum computer
>> that was available as a package in Debian. Perhaps you can try it
>> out.
>>
> There is a library called libquantum. I will try it. Thanks again

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Vaidhyanathan Mayilrangam Gopalan <
vaidhy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to add to Kapil's post, I do not know  enough about current syllabus,
> but linear algebra, probability and statistics are critical in understanding
> QC.
>
> Further, Quantum computing is a very different thing from quantum storage
> and quantum cryptography. Pick the right area of interest :)

I am interested in Quantum computing. I did a little research on all three
before my first mail. I found that all three intersted me. But the order was
Computing > Crypto > Storage.

Probably a bit on Quantum computing architecture. But predominantly
algorithms.

> As far as QC is concerned, we have algorithms for searching, sorting and
> string matching. (Incidentally, one of the string matching algorithms is
> from IISC, Bangalore).

> If you are interested in storage, read the Feynman's essay "There is plenty
>  of room at the bottom" * http://wI found that
> pageww.zyvex.com/nanotech/feynman.html<http://www.zyvex.com/nanotech/feynman.html>*

I read that a long time back. Not that I understood its significance much
then.
Thanks for reminding me of the page again!

---
Ashok `ScriptDevil` Gautham