[Ilugc] Re: ilugc Digest, Vol 55, Issue 77

abdullah abdul Khadir abdullah.ak2002 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 13:05:23 IST 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 12:00 PM, "Ashish Verma" <ashishverma1984 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > abdullah.ak2002 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Tried it using -usbdevice /dev/sdb1 command line option.
> > Does not seem to be working.
> >

> What is the error that you received. Did you first boot theVM with -usb
> option. If yes, then you can use the add usb from host using usb_add
> devname
> at the qemu prompt.

I start qemu like below. I do not get any prompt from qemu. After the boot
command all i get is diagnostic messages

$/usr/bin/qemu -boot c -m 128 -hda '/home/abdullah/vms/Windows' -usb  -net
nic,vlan=0 -net user,vlan=0 -localtime

Could not open '/dev/kqemu' - QEMU acceleration layer not activated
-usb_add /dev/sdb1

Is there a way to start  qemu such that i get a prompt to type in further
commands?

> > Indeed ssh is easy and i made it work. However i still do not know how to
> > copy using ssh from putty into a windows folder.
> >
> You can use the SSHSecureShellClient-3.2.9 to copy files using SSH. I guess
> there is a similar software for putty too.

ok will try that.

By the way I have used virtual box before on windows when i was evaluating
various linux distros one year back. I was primarily a windows user back
then. I used to occassionally(rarely) log into linux. However that changed
once i installed virtualbox and started running varios distros. Some of the
distros i checked out were ubuntu, FreeBSD, Fedora, redhat, openSuse,
Slackware and many others. I was highly impressed by the GNU tools and the
documentation of those tools. I remember being very impressed by rms'
documentation of emacs and the software itself.

And now the plot has completely changed. I have installed debian and I am
going to stick with it for some time. However, I want to occassionally run
Windows, so that I can create apps on linux and test them on Windows to give
them to my friends who are still
behind bars (read windows).

I have installed virtual box on ubuntu before and i had no problem. However
I am having some problem installing it on debian. I know it is my problem,
in the sense that I have made some mistake in installation and
configuration. However, the bottom line is i am too lazy to read all the
docs to rectify my mistakes.

I would very much like to use virtualbox for the time being at least over
qemu as qemu is pretty slow and also I know how to operate virtualbox as it
is really dumb to operate it.

Any suggestions will be welcom.

Regards,
Abdullah