[Ilugc] Re: ilugc Digest, Vol 55, Issue 77

Girish Venkatachalam girishvenkatachalam at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 13:58:32 IST 2008

On 13:05:23 Dec 25, abdullah abdul Khadir wrote:

> I start qemu like below. I do not get any prompt from qemu. After the boot
> command all i get is diagnostic messages
>
> $/usr/bin/qemu -boot c -m 128 -hda '/home/abdullah/vms/Windows' -usb  -net
> nic,vlan=0 -net user,vlan=0 -localtime
>
> Could not open '/dev/kqemu' - QEMU acceleration layer not activated
> -usb_add /dev/sdb1

This is not a fatal error message. Only that it will run a tad slower
that is all.  No big deal. It is still fast enough for most purposes.

> Is there a way to start  qemu such that i get a prompt to type in further
> commands?

What do you mean?

> By the way I have used virtual box before on windows when i was evaluating
> various linux distros one year back. I was primarily a windows user back
> then. I used to occassionally(rarely) log into linux. However that changed
> once i installed virtualbox and started running varios distros. Some of the
> distros i checked out were ubuntu, FreeBSD, Fedora, redhat, openSuse,

FreeBSD has nothing to do with linux. It is an OS and not a distro. I am
sorry for nitpicking. That wasn't the intention.

There is no concept of distro outside the linux world.

> However, I want to occassionally run
> Windows, so that I can create apps on linux and test them on Windows to give
> them to my friends who are still
> behind bars (read windows).

If you want to really learn any OS you have to run on bare metal.

Virtualization makes things more complicated.

> I have installed virtual box on ubuntu before and i had no problem. However
> I am having some problem installing it on debian. I know it is my problem,
> in the sense that I have made some mistake in installation and
> configuration. However, the bottom line is i am too lazy to read all the
> docs to rectify my mistakes.

You could try asking in mailing lists. Well there is no need to read all
the documentation. But you could at least read the relevant sections to
rectify your problems and march ahead.

Agreed, sometimes we get stuck and we get busy with other things. That
is the way things work unfortunately.

I have had situations where it has taken months to rectify something.
Even a year or so in rare cases.

> I would very much like to use virtualbox for the time being at least over
> qemu as qemu is pretty slow and also I know how to operate virtualbox as it
> is really dumb to operate it.

Why do you want to layer virtualbox over qemu?

Anyway I may be lacking in context. Kindly excuse me.

Best of luck with linux.

I am sure Debian is the right choice.

-Girish