[Ilugc] Re: ilugc Digest, Vol 55, Issue 77

Ashish Verma ashishverma1984 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 25 14:47:27 IST 2008

> $/usr/bin/qemu -boot c -m 128 -hda '/home/abdullah/vms/Windows' -usb  -net
> nic,vlan=0 -net user,vlan=0 -localtime
>
> Could not open '/dev/kqemu' - QEMU acceleration layer not activated
> -usb_add /dev/sdb1

I am not sure of this error. I would check if the kqemu module has been
modprobed before I start the VM.
I actually use the kvm module. You can use the qemu-kvm command prompt if
you have kvm_intel or kvm_amd modules.

> Is there a way to start  qemu such that i get a prompt to type in further
> commands?

When you boot the VM, press ctrl+alt+2 to get to the qemu prompt. At the
(qemu) prompt type info and you will get all possible commands.

> I have installed virtual box on ubuntu before and i had no problem. However
> I am having some problem installing it on debian. I know it is my problem,
> in the sense that I have made some mistake in installation and
> configuration. However, the bottom line is i am too lazy to read all the
> docs to rectify my mistakes.
>
> I would very much like to use virtualbox for the time being at least over
> qemu as qemu is pretty slow and also I know how to operate virtualbox as it
> is really dumb to operate it.
>
> kvm module is like 100 times faster than the qemu module. Try that.

Are you using a 64 bit version of Debian. Virtualbox gets installed by force
on a 64bit OS, however, to get it working it requires 32 bit shared
libraries, my fedora has similar 64 bit one's so I was not able to use
Virtualbox and I could not locate all the packages required to facilitate
the 32bit support. One thing I am going to try is, to install a rhel4 on a
VM and the install vbox on that rhel4 and then copy over the libraries to my
host system. That may work.

Regards,
Ashish