[Ilugc] beginner in python needing help

Vamsee Kanakala vamlists at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 11:35:46 IST 2008

Raja Subramanian wrote:
> My personal gripe with PHP is that support for namespaces was added very late.

And let me add mine. I'm not very familiar with PHP and how it's coded
elsewhere, but I once had to integrate a rather popular open source PHP
blogging/forums engine into an existing RoR setup. OMG. The code made me
weep. Perhaps it's too much to expect MVC wherever there is database
access code?

I don't know if the lack of encouragement of a particular pattern does
it or what, but the code was a tangle of mess. Perfect spaghetti code.
DB access code strewn all over display code. Lack of proper naming
conventions. Similar code written copy-pasted all over the place with
little changes without any thought to modularity. Obviously, that put me
off PHP for quite a while. I hear things are changing with Symfony and
CakePHP.

But then, if people are really going to write new db-driven webapps,
there are much better alternatives like Django/RoR now.

V.