[Ilugc] beginner in python needing help

Kapil Hari Paranjape kapil at imsc.res.in
Fri Dec 26 15:03:58 IST 2008

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008, Girish Venkatachalam wrote:
> > So does this make python a bad language?
>
> Does what make python a bad language?
>
> It is a great language.
>
> The list of good languages in my own unusually partial opinion are C,
> perl, python, lua and javascript.

Perhaps someone posted this here before, but anyway, here is a link
explaining why classifying languages as "good" or "bad" is bad![1]

 http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2000/12/advocacy.html

Moral: Read as many good programs as you can find and you will pick
up an idea about what language to use where.

How to find good programs? Answer is another motto I saw somewhere:

 A well-written program should not only run efficiently and properly
 on real computers but must also be easy for humans to read.

This sets the standards rather high, but so what?!

Regards,

Kapil.

[1] I always thought of Fortran as a terrible language to program in
until I read the original "adventure" game program.