[Ilugc] Wireless cards available locally that work on Debian

Roshan George roshan at arjie.com
Sun Dec 28 23:50:01 IST 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm Roshan George, and I live in Chennai. I've been looking for a
wireless card for a desktop that I recently got from a friend. The thing
is, while the Intel wireless card on this laptop works without any
effort, I've had quite a bit of trouble getting the Netgear WG311 to
work on another desktop we have at home, though I did eventually manage
by using ndiswrapper.

Looking around in local stores I've only seen the following models:

* Linksys WMP54G
* D-Link DWL G510
* D-Link DWA 510
* The D-Link DWL-G520 is available from rediff, but I think Rs. 2100 is
an absurd price for a wireless card.

What wireless cards would you recommend that I can get locally? I have
an 802.11-g network at home using WEP, and the way the rooms are located
using an ethernet cable is simply out of the question. I'm planning on
using Debian Etch for the computer with this card, but I wouldn't mind
running a newer distribution (though I'd prefer to stay with
Debian-based ones). Also, do any of those cards listed above work on
Linux? The web gives conflicting answers.

Thank you,
--
Roshan George <roshan at arjie.com>