[Ilugc] Wireless cards available locally that work on Debian

Raja Subramanian rajasuperman at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 18:43:02 IST 2008

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Roshan George <roshan at arjie.com> wrote:
> Arun Khan <knura at yahoo.com>:
>> WEP can be cracked (with relative ease), it is almost as good as
>> setting your WiFi AP w/o any encryption. Pls. consider using WPA or
>> WPA2.
..
> After searching the Internet, I came
> to the conclusion that I was safe because the only time I use my card is
> when I'm on secure websites (ones with a signed SSL certificate)? My
> mail server also uses TLS. Am I at risk despite this?

www.aircrack-ng.org can actually recover the WEP key itself.

Using the WEP key, an attacker can connect to your wireless router
and become a part of your LAN.  After that the attacker can access your
LAN clients, use your internet bandwidth, etc.

WEP is bad.

If you have a hackable wireless router (something that runs openwrt),
you can handle the wireless encryption at a higher layer by using openvpn
or ipsec between the wireless clients and the router.

- Raja