[Ilugc] Re: Reading data in a virtual OS

Vijay Kumar vijaykumar at bravegnu.org
Wed Dec 31 12:51:13 IST 2008

abdullah abdul Khadir <abdullah.ak2002 at ...> writes:

>      I needed to run windows and other operating systems on my debian etch
> system and hence i installed qemu which was referred in one of the previous
> mails in this mailing list . What I would very much like to know is if there
> is some way of reading data from an external source from within a virtual
> system? For example suppose I am running windows
> on qemu can I access some part of the debian file system from within
> windows?

If you haven't still figured this out, the simplest way to do this is through
Virtual VFAT. Virtual VFAT enables to access a host directory as a hard disk.
To a -hd[abcd] option pass the host directory path prefixed by 'fat:' as
shown below

  $ qemu -hda myhd.img -hdb fat:/host/dir/path

Within the guest system, the directory tree under '/host/dir/path' will
be available as a separate drive.

Regards,
Vijay