[Ilugc] A new born BioPuppy Linux OS ffor Bioinformatics
asprakash83 at gmail.com
Fri May 16 15:52:19 IST 2008
I gladly inform you that, our first beta version of BioPuppy Linux
is out now. The motivation of this FOSS project is, to provide a good user
friendly Linux for Bioinformatics people. BioPuppy is a community project
for educational and learning purpose for bioinfo people.
*About BioPuppy Linux
* BioPuppy Linux OS is an electronic workbench for bio-informatics and
computational biology. It has been designed to meet the needs of beginners.
BioPuppy is available as a live CD cum installation CD [and in USB Pen
drive] and containing all the required software to boot the computer with
ready to use bio-informatics tools. BioPuppy is based of the Puppy Linux.
The another objective of this BioPuppy is small in size (~180MB).
BioPuppy main page and download page is here,
*Features of BioPuppy *
* More user friendly and easy to use for those new to Linux.
* Contains all the necessary Bioinformatics tools.
* BioPuppy will boot from a minimum PC/Laptop with 586Mhz CPU and 32Mb RAM
* Easy to install in Hard disk, USB Pen drive and Compact Flash (CF) cards.
No fear on installation for those new to Linux.
* You can install the softwares from your live cd and save your sessions.
Your session will be restored in the next the boot.
* Very small in size (~180MB). But it has everything.
* BioPuppy can run your operating system, programs and store your data on
the same CD-RW/Pen drive/Hard disk
* BioPuppy contains extensive help files for ALL its programs and
Bioinformatcis tools with screen shot.
* Can easily update new version.
* Also an Desktop Linux OS
* Bring all your programs, tools, moves, songs with light weight BioPuppy
Linux in a single USB Pen drive.
* Every thing is Free/Open Source under the GPL license. You are legally
allowed to redistribute it.
Biology softwares included
Sequence Analysis Tools : Sim-4, Tigr-Glimmer 2, Genewise, Muscle, Sigma,
HMMER, Clustal-W, mafft
Structure Prediction Tools : mfold, gibbs
Protein Structure Analysis Tools : Garlic, Rasmol
Phylogenetic Analysis tools : Fast DNA, Phylip, Phylodraw
Protein Modeling : Modeller,
Docking : MGL Tools ( Autodock tools, Python Molecular Viewer (PMV), Vision)
System Biology : Copasi
On-line tools : BLAST, EMBOSS
Your valuable feedbacks, suggestions and contributions are most welcome!.
visit http://electronica.org.in is a Open source site for
Embedded System learners,beginners and job seekers.
More information about the ilugc