[Ilugc] FOSS app released
kcramakrishna at yahoo.com
Fri May 15 16:42:21 IST 2009
We have released a Free application on rubyforge quite sometime back.
In addition to the source code, we are planning to host it for free for the Free Software Community.
The tool is basically a filtering mechanism of community ideas based on 'widsom of the crowds'.
1. Any registered user can create an idea.
2. Other registered users can 'vote up'/'vote down' the idea. A single user can cast multiple cotes to a single idea.
3. Users have a 'vote account'. When a user casts a vote, this account is depleted accordingly - so use your votes wisely. The account balance is increased when a new idea is created in the system.
4. Every idea is 'retired' after 3 months and prizes are announced based on its performance.
5. We are also planning to introduce cash prizes within a month. Prizes will be awarded to both the idea creator as well as the users who have voted for the idea. There is a logistical issue with this currently and we will be paying only to paypal accounts. If you do not have a paypal account, the amount will be either donated to FSF or to a free software project of your choice which accepts paypal.
We can look at other modes of payment in the future.
I will be releasing the documentation including installation instructions over the coming week.
Meanwhile please log in and start using the site - who knows - your idea may win cash prizes.
The application will get its own URL within a week and will be migrated without data loss.
The source code link is available at the bottom of the home page in the app.
I would like to introduce it to all lugs and once the application is stable, a more plublic launch is planned. Please forward this link to other lugs and other Free software enthusiasts.
Of course contributions (code, bug reports, documentation) are welcome.
K. C. Ramakrishna
More information about the ilugc