[Ilugc] Meaning of pettifogging

Girish Venkatachalam girishvenkatachalam at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 08:06:28 IST 2009

$ dict pettifogging

  2. To debate or quarrel over unimportant, trifling matters.
        [PJC]

     3. To use subterfuge, deception, or flattery for any purpose;
        to practice chicanery.
        [PJC]

>From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 [gcide]:

  Pettifogging \Pet"ti*fog`ging\, a.
     Paltry; quibbling; mean.
     [1913 Webster]

>From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 [gcide]:

  Pettifogging \Pet"ti*fog`ging\, n.
     Pettifoggery.
     [1913 Webster]

>From WordNet (r) 2.0 [wn]:

  pettifogging
       adj : quibbling over insignificant details; "caviling pettifoggers
             and quiggling pleaders"-Edmund Burke; "her nagging and
             carping attack"; "thought her editor unnecessarily
             nitpicking"; "a pettifogging lawyer's mind"; "had no
             patience with quibbling critics" [syn: {caviling}, {carping},
              {nitpicking}, {quibbling}]

>From WordNet (r) 2.0 [wn]:

  pettifog
       v : argue over petty things; "Let's not quibble over pennies"
           [syn: {quibble}, {niggle}, {bicker}, {squabble}, {brabble}]
       [also: {pettifogging}, {pettifogged}]

This is just an excerpt.

You people keep doing that all the time.

You waste my time. You waste your time. You make everyone unhappy.

Stop it!

-Girish

--
Gayatri Hitech