[Ilugc] I2C Driver development

Suresh Kumar sureshkumarr.s at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 14:28:13 IST 2009

Hi Girish,

I am develping i2c driver for temperature sensor.
I guess two methods of available for driver development.
legacy method using i2c.h header file & using the legacy functuions like
i2c_detect(adapter, &addr_data, detect),i2c_smbus_read_byte_data(client, reg)
et.
another method is bitwise operations which internally uses the legacy
method  using i2c-algo-bit.h header file & using the functions like
setscl,getscl,setsda,getsda.

I just want to understand the difference of these two, and require some
guidelines for develope the driver.

thanks
suresh

Message: 4