[Ilugc] [OT]RMS on Mono, DotGNU (from foss news-34)

openbala damodaran.balaji at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 00:46:05 IST 2010

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 12:08 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/19/2010 12:00 AM, openbala wrote:
>> I'm a fan of .Net platform. I personally feel Mono runtime is an
>> awesome experiment to bring C# into non-Microsoft platforms. C# as
>> such is a wonderful language and would love to see a complete .Net 4.0
>> runtime implemented in Mono (currently Mono is fully compatible with
>> .Net 2.0 and some specifications of .Net 3.0). The interesting side
>
> Patents are not a purely technology issue.  While C# might indeed be a
> good language,  if the technology stack is patent encumbered, adoption
> of it will be hindered.  Another important issue is whether
> people/companies funding Mono are running a profitable business to
> ensure sustainability of the platform.  Unclear whether that is the case
> as of now.

> Rahul

One news worthy event that happened on July 17th is that, the licenses
of DLR (dynamic language runtime), IronRuby and IronPython has changed
from MS-PL to Apache-2[1]

Microsoft has further released parts of the .Net framework code in
open source (some in MS-PL and some in Apache 2) - this includes
Sliverlight controls, Microsoft's AJAX and ASP MVC.[2] - These will be
available in Mono 2.8

Microsoft so far hasn't pounced on Mono like they did with SalesForce.
Infact, Miguel got the Microsoft MVP award in 2010.

About the profitability and adaptability of Mono, this might be a
totally different thing, looks time Mono is at least claiming that it
is being well adopted [3]. I guess Ubuntu still ships with Tomboy
Notes installed (not sure) which means that they aren't gravely
concerned. Not sure about Fedora, as I used only Fedora KDE.

[1] - http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2010/Jul-17-1.html
[2] - http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2010/Jul-07.html
[3] - http://www.mono-project.com/Companies_Using_Mono