[Ilugc] Linux carrier growth and solaris

Sriram Karra karra.etc at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 11:13:06 IST 2012

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Murugan, Naresh Kumar <
naresh.kumar.murugan at logica.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As a linux administrator, have learned so many things which is related
> Operating system perspective, memory manangement , monitoring,volume
> management and so and so. Now I am looking on moveup to unix so which unix
> flavour is good as high technical exposure and if i  prefered as solaris
> how is scope of that ? will it suites when moving from linux to unix as
> solaris ?

> I don't have any perspicacity of solaris in production as well as how the
> concepts differ from linux ?
> What actions be needed for carrier growth in linux ?

Disclaimer: I am not a sysadmin, but have seen many accomplished sysadmins
in action, and have a few good friends who have made a living in the field.

You can make a comfortable living by mastering administration of Linux
distributions like RedHat. There are plenty of jobs going around. But there
are many benefits from learning the differences between Linux and other
flavours of Linux - the most popular of which are: Solaris, HP/UX, AIX in
the server segment, and Mac OS X on desktops.

In terms of specific recommendations I would suggest you do the following:

1. Buy this book: Nemeth and Evis Unix Administraton Handbook is the bible
in this field. It gives you everything you need to know in your day to day
job as a Unix admin.
http://www.amazon.com/Linux-System-Administration-Handbook-Edition/dp/0131480057Note
that the book covers many Linux distros, HP/UX and Aix in many places
where there are significant differences. So this is the ideal book for you
and for all Unix admins.

2. Once you get a full hang of this whole deal, you may become curious to
understand more about the internals of Unix. If that happens, I would
recommend the following books: "The Design of the Unix Operating System" (
http://www.amazon.com/Design-Operating-System-Prentice-Hall-Software/dp/0132017997)
and "The Unix Programming Environment" (
http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Environment-Prentice-Hall-Software-Series/dp/013937681X/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b
)

3. You will realize in time that to be effective in this field you will
also have to have a solid understanding of networking and TCP/IP. At which
point you think of some certifications like CCNA/CCNP and more networking
books.

Happy Hacking!

-Karra