[Ilugc] why it is important to promote linux

pavithran pavithran.s at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 14:30:01 IST 2012

On 2 July 2012 13:36, kenneth gonsalves <lawgon at thenilgiris.com> wrote:
> But the word is missing in the sites of two 'popular'
> distros - android and ubuntu. If you ask most Linux users what OS they
> use, they will say 'Linux' (or GNU/Linux). But if you ask people using
> distros like Ubuntu or android, they will say 'Ubuntu' or 'android'.

Ubuntu did use the term "linux" once for its famous slogan " Linux for
Human beings" when it was introducing its distribution based at PCs .
But once they reached a fair share of market and when the CD
distribution was at a peak stage they shifted and dropped the name
linux all together .

Coming to Android , they are a modified linux kernel ( so are also
others) with binary blobs which somehow doesn't bring it close to FOSS
eco system and hence many didn't mind the missing term .
I guess its upto google to give attribution where its due and stop
being "evil" which was and I guess is still its motto .

Regards,
Pavithran

--
pavithran sakamuri