[Ilugc] why it is important to promote linux

kenneth gonsalves lawgon at thenilgiris.com
Mon Jul 2 16:40:11 IST 2012

On Mon, 2012-07-02 at 14:46 +0530, 0 wrote:
> > So let us promote - and encourage others to promote - Linux (or, if
> you
> > so desire GNU/Linux.
>
> In my opinion, fragmenting the Linux brand as Ubuntu or Android or
> other
> brands is a good thing. For long, one person has embezzled the credit
> for the work of the entire community.

<quote>
Linus Torvalds shared the Linux kernel on some internet groups for MINIX
users. Linus first called the operating system "Freax". The name Freax
came from joining up the English words "free" and "freak", and adding an
X to the name because Unix has an X in its name. Ari Lemmke, who worked
with Linus at the University, was responsible for the servers that Freax
was stored on. Ari did not think Freax was a good name, so he called the
project "Linux" without asking Linus. Later, Linus agreed that Linux was
a better name for his project.
</quote>

<quote>
Embezzlement is the act of dishonestly withholding assets for the
purpose of conversion (theft), of such assets by one or more individuals
to whom such assets have been entrusted, to be held and/or used for
other purposes.
</quote>

<quote>
The practice of quoting out of context, sometimes referred to as
"contextomy" or "quote mining", is a logical fallacy and a type of false
attribution in which a passage is removed from its surrounding matter in
such a way as to distort its intended meaning.
</quote>

The context in this post is the huge financial and propaganda effort
being put in by Microsoft to prevent the spread of linux (or call it
open source or foss) - it is not the ongoing quarrel between various
people on the assignment of credit for creating parts of the open source
software ecosystem. If you want to have a thread on that subject feel
free to start your own.

[...]

> Even though, I support RMS on GNU/Linux name, to fully represent the
> end
> product, the name should be totally random or a representation of the
> community as a whole.

unfortunately the train left the station 20 years back.

> I would say promote Linux as a product but not as a brand.

whatever this means

--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves