[Ilugc] why it is important to promote linux

kenneth gonsalves lawgon at thenilgiris.com
Mon Jul 2 18:25:09 IST 2012

On Mon, 2012-07-02 at 17:32 +0530, Roshan Mathews wrote:
> > congratulations - I am sure you went through each of these links to
> find
> > out where they were on the site, in what context they were there,
> > whether they were put there by the authors of the site and how
> visible
> > they are to the viewers of the site.
> >

> Those were just some random stats I found after reading your original
> FUD.  But then, I'm sure that when you were saying "site" and not
> "page", you went through all the sites to do your due diligence?

yes I did - spent some hours looking at the sites in question from the
end user perspective to get an overall impression on how much importance
is given to linux.

> > And here's one more which you can add to your collection of useless
> > statistics:
> >
> > site:microsoft.com linux    322,000
> >

> Why is that useless?

this one is better

site:microsoft.com how to remove linux   28,800 results

>   According to the Linux Foundation [1], Microsoft
> was one of the largest corporate contributors of Linux in 2011.
>
> [1]
> http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/04/linux-kernel-in-2011-15-million-total-lines-of-code-and-microsoft-is-a-top-contributor/

I am sure you read all the comments on this article. And of course the
original pdf from the linux foundation.
<quote>
It is amusing to note that Linus Torvalds (1,113 total changes, 231
since 2.6.35) does not appear in either top-30
list of contributors.
</quote>

wow - $bill contributes more to the kernel than Linus!

In general, it is a fallacy to equate number of lines of code
contributed to contribution as such. A lot of other factors need to be
considered - these factors are adequately explained in the pdf and in
the comments on the article itself. 1% of the total contributed code -
where the contribution is completely self serving ...

--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves