[Ilugc] best practices for backup and restore on upgrading

Vignesh Nandha Kumar viky.nandha at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 00:43:59 IST 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 6:19 PM, kenneth gonsalves <lawgon at thenilgiris.com>wrote:

> hi,
>
> 1. sensitive passwords - in my memory (not on any other device)
> 2. firefox settings and pass words - use firefox sync
> 3. non sensitive passwords - save in a text file on my backup device

4. code, docs etc - mostly under version control - what is not under
> version control is in specific directories that are manually backed up

I use Ubuntu one for documents.

5. nginx, apache and other config files - under version control.
> 6. evolution - use evolution backup and restore.
>
> inspite of all this, I invariably lose data - any other tips?

Installing /home in a different partition than the root is helpful to some
extent.

--
Vignesh Nandha Kumar
http://vigneshnandhakumar.in