[Ilugc] [OT] Blog on Apple Products
lawgon at thenilgiris.com
Fri Jul 6 13:41:01 IST 2012
On Fri, 2012-07-06 at 08:57 +0530, 0 wrote:
> >>> http://www.berkeleylug.com/?p=1045
> >>> Informative.
> >> [OT] tag please.
> > what is OT about it?
> IMO, The article was more about Apple and its IP policy in general.
> comments sections in the article throw more light on this. Although
> interesting read, I thought it was OT. I could be wrong.
depends on the definition OT for this group. The group is not a
homogeneous group with a single well defined aim. It is a loose alliance
of several different types of focus. I see it like this:
1. It is a linux users' group - so obviously any discussion of linux and
linux based stuff is not OT.
2. We have a large number of adherents to the Free Software movement, so
any discussion of this - including discussions of the wider concerns of
the Free Software Movement like DRM etc is not OT.
3. We also have a large number of Open Source enthusiasts - so
discussion of these topics, including the ongoing debate between open
source and free software is also on topic.
4. In addition we have users of various BSD and unix flavours.
5. As a consequence of the above, discussion of any open source
language, toolkit and framework is also ok.
6. And advocacy of all the above also implies that criticism of
companies and ideas that are contrary to the above is also on topic.
I would say that the post under consideration falls fairly under points
2 and 6 above and is not OT.
More information about the ilugc