[Ilugc] best practices for backup and restore on upgrading

kenneth gonsalves lawgon at thenilgiris.com
Sat Jul 7 13:12:26 IST 2012

On Wed, 2012-07-04 at 07:11 +0530, Mohan Sundaram wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 12:43 AM, Vignesh Nandha Kumar
> <viky.nandha at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Installing /home in a different partition than the root is helpful
> to some
> > extent.
>
> This worked well for me too. In addition, I made sure that apps that
> install are also in a non-system partition so that reinstall keeps
> these apps safe and the need to re-install is less. Inspite of this,
> to keep  compatibility as OS changes, I still have to install a few
> core apps like mail client, monitoring utilities.

my reinstallation went well - did not lose any data or valuable
information. One hiccup - firefox sync did not work as I had omitted to
pair my old installation so did not have the key to open with my new
install. But I just copied my old .mozilla directory to the new install
and got all my passwords and bookmarks. So now I am on Fedora 17 - as
usual everything worked out of the box except mobile broadband which has
never worked since fedora 12. I have decided to give up on that and make
my laptop dual boot - and I am going to try this out:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/104581-linux-mint-the-new-ubuntu
--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves