[Ilugc] Check you DNS

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 15:13:27 IST 2012

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Balasubramaniam Natarajan
<bala150985 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I don't have a working example.  However my doubt is what if my ISP is
>> > infected with DNS changer even when my GNU/LINUX is not.

> The advantage with this test is that though you PC may not be infected we
> can help our ISP solve the problem which they have not noticed yet.  I
> heard that there are still around 50K PC around the world infected with
> this malware.

Most times their tech support is clueless about basic networking
issues.   When I tell them that I cannot ping their GW IP on the far
side of my DSL connection (the end point of the first hop), the chaps
insist that I ping some other IP number which is beyond their own
gateway!

Expecting them to understand DNS poisoning - you are a brave man.

Personally, I use my own DNS server (bind) built into the gateway.

-- Arun Khan