[Ilugc] Check you DNS

kenneth gonsalves lawgon at thenilgiris.com
Sat Jul 7 17:51:20 IST 2012

On Sat, 2012-07-07 at 17:41 +0530, Balasubramaniam Natarajan wrote:
> > the simplest solution to the problem is to run a cacheing only
> > nameserver on local host
> > --
> >

> Please explain more on this I did not understand.  My idea about DNS
> server
> is that if your local DNS server does not have an IP corresponding to
> domain name or if its cache does not have one it will look up the next
> level DNS server's what ever you have configured to see if that has an
> answer.  If at all you have configured your ISP's DNS server as the
> next
> level DNS server and if your ISP is ignorant about DNS changer malware
> we
> will at least know to skip using the ISP's DNS server by starting to
> use
> open DNS.

install powerdns for example - tell it to run on 127.0.0.1. Configure
your network to use the nameserver on 127.0.0.1. Done. Goodbye to your
ISP's nameserver. Even simpler is to set your nameserver to the opendns
IPs - 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222. I have been using vsnl/bsnl
since 1995 and I can assure you their dns sucks bigtime. I used my local
nameserver till about 2006 when I became aware of opendns.
--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves