[Ilugc] Check you DNS

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 17:52:45 IST 2012

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Balasubramaniam Natarajan
<bala150985 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Expecting them to understand DNS poisoning - you are a brave man.
>>
>> I gave the example so that we are not blind to what might be happening
> behind the scenes.
>

>> Personally, I use my own DNS server (bind) built into the gateway.
>>
>> I have a doubt here, If your DNS server does not have a cached domain name
> where is it going to go and look up the domain name ?

The "root" DNS servers provide the NS for the TLD and the first level
sub domains under each TLD.
If a domain name is not cached then the NS records are fetched
starting @ the "root" servers.   The file "root.hint" in bind
installation is the provide the IP numbers for the "root" servers.

Read up on how DNS works - really if you are serious about it.  There
are a couple of informative O'Reilly books on the subject.  Although,
for starters you can start here <http://www.tldp.org> and browse
through the HowTos index.

-- Arun Khan

-- Arun