[Ilugc] best practices for backup and restore on upgrading

Vignesh Nandha Kumar viky.nandha at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 23:34:43 IST 2012

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 3:48 PM, kenneth gonsalves <lawgon at thenilgiris.com>wrote:

> no - it is an idiotic interface, but have got used to it. The worst
> thing about it is that one cannot open multiple copies of the same
> program.

Really? In Unity, at least you can open many instances but switching
between the windows is little tricky. When the currently focused window is
of program A and you want to switch to one of the many windows of program
B, clicking the B's icon in the left panel (or using Alt+Tab to traverse to
program B) will open the last accessed window of the program. Clicking the
icon again will show a tiled view of all the windows of the program and you
can click on the one you want. Using Alt+Tab to access the window that was
not used last is more painful. You need to traverse to the app using
Alt+Tab and press down arrow still holding the Alt key (or keep holding Alt
key for few seconds) to get the tiled view of the open windows.

May be Gnome 3 also has some similar ways, explore :)

And I am used to having
> icons for all my open programs neatly lined up along the bottom of my
> screen, and clicking the one I want. Now I have to keep banging on the
> top right of my screen with the mouse to do that ...

I'm used to Alt+Tab even before Unity and Gnome3 came and I find it much
easier. I was thinking that most of the programmers or anyone who uses
keyboard more use Alt+Tab rather than clicking.

--
Vignesh Nandha Kumar
http://vigneshnandhakumar.in