[Ilugc] Mail server implementation
girishvenkatachalam at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 08:44:24 IST 2012
On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Muthukumar S <muthu31kumar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi friends.
> Good morni:)
> I am searching for knowledge base links for how to implement the mail
> server and what are the basic requirements to implement. It would be nice
> if there is a step by step guidelines.
1) Find out MX record and point to your public IP and do port
forwarding in your NAT box
2) Setup domain in /etc/postfix/main.cf
3) Check reverse DNS(PTR record)
4) Install dovecot and check user login using nc (IMAP and POP3)
5) install roundcube for webmail
6) Do relaying controls by allowing mail sending to only your domain
7) Define my_networks parameter to match your local n/w
8) Tweak master.cf for enabling submission port
9) Check the log file /var/log/maillog and see if it says "removed" ;)
10) Find out whether any firewall is blocking ports, normally ISPs
block outgoing 25
Finally pray to God that all works the way you want since without
God's grace it
is impossible to get it all right in the first attempt.
It is also God's grace that you don't succeed in first attempt. ;)
Best of luck.
More information about the ilugc