[Ilugc] biometric attendance - swipe card attendance aystem, thermal & dot matrix printer manufacturers/ vendors?

Arun Venkataswamy arun289 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 16:00:26 IST 2012

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM, ஆமாச்சு <amachu at amachu.net> wrote:

> For couple of my upcoming projects am looking forward to colloborate
> with biometric attendance, swipe card attendance, thermal printer, dot
> matrix printer vendors/ manufacturers offering such devices that are
> GNU/ Linux friendly.

@Ramdoss, I understand for a commercial project, you require
vendor/manufacturer support for Linux. I am just adding this information to
the thread so that students can benefit:

Almost all these devices are generically OS agnostic. Unless the device
manufacturer has gone overboard to protect it from being used in Linux
and/or has a proprietary protocol.

Today most of them feature an USB interface. The USB interface is an
USB/Serial convertor and almost all the convertors are supported by Linux.
When you connect the device to the USB port of a linux box, a `usbserial`
port gets listed in /dev (/dev/USBtty0 etc).

Irrespective of OS, its just a matter of programming the serial port i/o to
follow the manufacturer's published protocol.

Regards,
Arun
http://wondroussky.blogspot.in/

"கற்றது கைமண் அளவு, கல்லாதது உலகளவு" - ஔவையார்
Known is a drop, Unknown is an ocean