[Ilugc] Can Guest OS accessing Host WiFi Card Directly ?

prasannatsmkumar prasannatsmkumar at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 21:31:13 IST 2012

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 7:44 PM, Balasubramaniam Natarajan
<bala150985 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Without giving the specific use case it is not possible to provide
>> ideas. You can access net in VirtualBox guest if host has internet
>> connection. This should be sufficient for most use case.
>>

> Well my case is I want to practise setting up Adhoc network using WLAN.
> Since I don't have may wlan cards as spare I though I would be able to set
> up three or more virtual machine using the wireless card in bridge mode to
> accomplish the same.
>

>> Qemu has PCI pass through. I am not sure whether that is mainlined or
>> will it work for you. If you are geeky enough to try just give it a
>> try and write about it if successful.
>>

> I did not get the point "whether that is mainlined"

It means that the code may not be in the official repository - it may
be lying in someone's branch. I did not check this so please make sure
if that is the case. It is best to contact qemu mainling list or IRC
for getting more information and using this.

>> If you have ample time and knowledge use libpciaccess to access the
>> Wifi card from user space (i.e., from within Virtual Box and let the
>> guest know about the PCI card). For this you may need to modify
>> Virtual Box source code and also the guest kernel (may be a Linux
>> kernel module). I don't have much info than this and I am not sure how
>> much time it will take. I guess it may take more than 3 months for a
>> normal developer doing this work full time (If virtual box source code
>> is needed to be modified and a linux kernel module has to be written).
>>

> I would wish to be that geeky however I am not :-( at least for now.  As
> playing with GNU/Linux is just my hobby.

Also qemu is far better than Virtual Box considering guest CPU
performance. So use it if you don't have any strong reason for not
coming out of Virtual Box.

>> If it is based on USB you need not do anything big - just choose a
>> menu in the Virtual Box to associate the USB device to the guest.
>>

> I know this route from googling, It involves purchase of WLAN usb dongles
> :-(.  "Ella may OC yaaa way venuma" :-D lol

lol :)