[Ilugc] Can Guest OS accessing Host WiFi Card Directly ?

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 22:26:55 IST 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 9:58 PM, Balasubramaniam Natarajan

>> Bridging through the network interface of the Host OS, is the most
>> common case for the Guest OS to connect to the 'net (when you want the
>> Guest OS to be visible w/o NAT)
>>
>> In VirtualBox, you can bridge a Guest OS with the Host OS WiFi
>> interface where in the Host OS acts as the wpa supplicant and the
>> auth. is done by the Host OS.   The Guest OS still sees an ethernet
>> iface card - the bridging is done at the Host OS level.
>>
>> Is this what you are trying to accomplish?
>>
>> No I want guest to see wifi card with iwconfig command rather than
> ifconfig.

I suggest you join the VBox mailing list and web forums.  It is more
likely for you to get specific answers there.

However, before you pull out your wallet for an USB WiFi dongle ...
as an alternate, IIRC Linux KVM  can pass the HW PCI bus address to
the guest.   I have no experience with it though.

Some ref. links that might be of help.

<http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/exposing-host-pci-devices-guest>

<http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/rhel6/rhel_6_virtualization/rhel_6_virtualization_chap-Virtualization-PCI_passthrough.html>

Good luck,

As always -- you can share the solution after you have got it working :)

BTW - do not snip the From line - it identifies who wrote what.

--
Arun Khan
"As a layman, I would say we have it, but as a scientist I have to