[Ilugc] IR Receiver that works on Linux for an XBMC HTPC

Mohan Sundaram mohan.tux at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 12:43:23 IST 2012

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Arun Khan <knura9 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 8:29 PM, Roshan George  wrote:
>
>> By the way, I'm thinking of running XBMC because it looks way better.
>> The output will be an ancient CRT TV for now, but my brother can
>> probably work things out once I have everything set up so that if they
>> buy a newer LCD TV, things will be fine. Any opinions on that are
>> welcome as well. I have little experience with this, but hopefully
>> things will go smoothly.
>
> As an alternate, I would suggest dispense away with all this research
> of what works and does not.
>
> I use an USB wireless keyboard/mouse combo.   I get to control XBMC
> and also use the same as a PC to browse the net, read email etc. when
> I am in the mood to be a couch potato :)   OK it is less glamorous
> than an IR remote control but it meets my functional requirements.

I'm also intending to build a HTPC using the Raspberry Pi which has
XBMC ported on it. I was planning to use a wireless keyboard cum
trackball device with its own dongle from Logitech that costs approx
2K. Advantage I saw was - no drivers needed. Was important as I had
little control on the XBMC distro.

-- Mohan Sundaram