[Ilugc] Open source and business

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 13:15:02 IST 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Arun Venkataswamy <arun289 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anybody in this list or people you know - have made money by creating
> open source products? I am not talking about people who earn money by
> providing services around someone else's effort of creating the primary,
> core product (say the LAMP stack).

A significant part of the 'open source' is the concept of "open a
restaurant but give away the menu". In effect, the availability of the
source code of the product enables two distinct streams of revenue -
feature driven and support/services driven. And, in either case you
are helping to increase the share of the product.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>