[Ilugc] Open source and business

satyaakam goswami satyaakam at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 13:20:51 IST 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Arun Venkataswamy <arun289 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anybody in this list or people you know - have made money by creating
> open source products? I am not talking about people who earn money by
> providing services around someone else's effort of creating the primary,
> core product (say the LAMP stack).  I am talking about people who are
> creative and made stuff from scratch. Off late I have started to have these
> conflicting thoughts in my mind whether this entire open source movement is
> made up of a small bunch of charitable people (the creators) and a huge
> bunch of leeches who monetize the charity.

this is a very common thought and question is most of the people in this field.

> I personally feel like a leach and have used brilliant open source apps
> free of cost to my benefit. I never had the time to participate seriously
> in giving back content to the open source pool (apart from a few
> donations).

do not procrastinate this is also good way of contributing back .

>This is not an excuse, as I would have found time if I believed
> that it was my responsibility. Anybody/Organization associated with this
> group have a give-back policy?

Giving is ones personal conscious thing nobody can force or  demand it :-)

> This is not a troll or to start a flame war. Just want to know about how
> you guys think.

i give this simple analogy to students as what they want to be , there
are gold rush people ( the guys with one idea and want to make it big
through product or service )  and people who will be making spades (
the guys who actually build things )  for the gold rush , may be
mostly you have seen and interacted with people who are into  making
spades.

anyway what is that big idea you have on your mind?

-Satya
fossevents.in