[Ilugc] Open source and business

Arun Venkataswamy arun289 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 13:21:51 IST 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <
sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com> wrote:

> A significant part of the 'open source' is the concept of "open a
> restaurant but give away the menu". In effect, the availability of the
> source code of the product enables two distinct streams of revenue -
> feature driven and support/services driven. And, in either case you
> are helping to increase the share of the product.

Increase share of the product meaning?
I am talking from a business perspective. It is one thing to
feel exhilarated when hundreds of thousands of people use your app. But
does this realize into making money?

Regards,
Arun
http://wondroussky.blogspot.in/

"கற்றது கைமண் அளவு, கல்லாதது உலகளவு" - ஔவையார்
Known is a drop, Unknown is an ocean