[Ilugc] Open source and business

satyaakam goswami satyaakam at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 13:32:25 IST 2012

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Arun Venkataswamy <arun289 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 1:15 PM, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <
> sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> A significant part of the 'open source' is the concept of "open a
>> restaurant but give away the menu". In effect, the availability of the
>> source code of the product enables two distinct streams of revenue -
>> feature driven and support/services driven. And, in either case you
>> are helping to increase the share of the product.
>>

> Increase share of the product meaning?

more user base , ultimately there is hope that there will be streams
of revenues from support and customization ( like adding features)

> I am talking from a business perspective. It is one thing to
> feel exhilarated when hundreds of thousands of people use your app. But
> does this realize into making money?

yes that is where business sense kicks in how to get a dollar out of
customer or it could be the other way round  too when the product is
so good he willingly starts paying what you demand , this risk and
reward scenarios is what any business is all about , and an
entrepreneurs you live with it .

-Satya