[Ilugc] [ilguc] Ubuntu is not Linux- Is it true?

Jesse Francis atjesse2 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 12:29:17 IST 2012

Haha.. Am not hearing it for the first time-had seen such a mention in
an article in ToI few months back.

Ubuntu is very much a GNU/Linux distribution though they are noit
calling it "Ubuntu Linux", runs on Linux Kernal, and is born out of
Debian Linux. Above all, it is the most popular Linux Distribution as
of now, as well!

On 7/29/12, ARUN PALANIAPPAN <arunpalaniappan.mek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> While looking around to suggest a book for beginners, I came across an
> interesting book
> Ubuntu: An Absolute Beginner’s
> Guide<http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/ubuntu-an-absolute-beginners-guide>The
> Book can be downloaded from the Link:
> http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/ubuntu-an-absolute-beginners-guide
>
> In that book, it is mentioned that
> "*Contrary to common belief*:
> Linux is not a corporation
> •     Nobody owns Linux
> •  *   Ubuntu is not Linux*
>
> Till Date, I am of the opinion that Ubuntu is one among the Linux
> distributions.
> Is it wrong?
>
> Please clarify
>
> --
> Regards,
> ARUN P
>

> A Tailor’s mistake is a Fashion But, An Engineer’s mistake is a Disaster.
>
> "Preserve the earth; Else we will perish"

Jesse P Francis
"Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux."
Twitter/Diaspora/Facebook: @atjesse,
Wikipedia/Wikibooks: ml.wikipedia.org/wiki/user:atjesse,
ml.wikibooks.org/wiki/use:atjesse