[Ilugc] [ilguc] Ubuntu is not Linux- Is it true?

Narendiran a.narendiran at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 12:43:35 IST 2012

Linux is just the kernel. Ubuntu is a distribution of various softwares.
Sure it comes with the linux kernel, but it also includes various other
softwares. Saying 'ubuntu is linux', is equal to saying 'ubuntu is libbre
office' or 'ubutnu is gimp', after the distro includes all. A lot of those
softwares have windows versions too!.

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Jesse Francis <atjesse2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Haha.. Am not hearing it for the first time-had seen such a mention in
> an article in ToI few months back.
>
> Ubuntu is very much a GNU/Linux distribution though they are noit
> calling it "Ubuntu Linux", runs on Linux Kernal, and is born out of
> Debian Linux. Above all, it is the most popular Linux Distribution as
> of now, as well!
>
> On 7/29/12, ARUN PALANIAPPAN <arunpalaniappan.mek at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > While looking around to suggest a book for beginners, I came across an
> > interesting book
> > Ubuntu: An Absolute Beginner’s
> > Guide<http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/ubuntu-an-absolute-beginners-guide
> >The
> > Book can be downloaded from the Link:
> > http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/ubuntu-an-absolute-beginners-guide
> >
> > In that book, it is mentioned that
> > "*Contrary to common belief*:
> > Linux is not a corporation
> > •     Nobody owns Linux
> > •  *   Ubuntu is not Linux*
> >
> > Till Date, I am of the opinion that Ubuntu is one among the Linux
> > distributions.
> > Is it wrong?
> >
> > Please clarify
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > ARUN P
> >

> > A Tailor’s mistake is a Fashion But, An Engineer’s mistake is a Disaster.
> >
> > "Preserve the earth; Else we will perish"
> >

> --
> Jesse P Francis
> "Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux."
> Twitter/Diaspora/Facebook: @atjesse,
> Wikipedia/Wikibooks: ml.wikipedia.org/wiki/user:atjesse,
> ml.wikibooks.org/wiki/use:atjesse

Sincerely,

A. Narendiran